Mid Cheshire Musical Theatre Company (MCMTC) is one of the country’s oldest musical theatre societies – tracing its roots back to 1916 when it first started presenting popular light opera at the old Northwich Brine Baths in Victoria Road.
At the outbreak of World War 2, performances were put on hold, and it wasn’t until 1949 that the newly renamed Northwich Music Society resumed its productions – first at The Pavilion Theatre (situated at the back of The Regal cinema, which stood on the site now occupied by Waitrose) and then, later, at Hartford Secondary Modern School.
1954 saw the birth of the Winnington Amateur Operatic Society which staged its musicals at ICI’s Crescent Hall until, in 1960, the two societies amalgamated to become Mid Cheshire Amateur Operatic Society. This coincided with the opening of Northwich Memorial Hall, which hosted the Society’s productions until 2008.
In 1968, the bold step was taken of purchasing the headquarters in Oakwood Lane, Barnton, which was used as the rehearsal rooms, as well as the performance space for the junior section – the Mid Cheshire Youth Theatre.
This remained the headquarters until 2011, when, due to high running costs, the decision was made to sell Oakwood Lane Theatre.
MCMTC currently performs its shows at Hartford’s Grange Theatre, and rehearses at University Primary Academy Weaverham.
At the same time, it was decided to update the society’s name to better reflect its more contemporary programme of musical theatre, and the current name of Mid Cheshire Musical Theatre Company came into being.